Pacific Opera is the Young Artists’ opera company. We produce fresh, vibrant opera with a twist, delighting audiences and providing a platform for the stars of tomorrow.
Our previous opera repertoire includes The Cunning Little Vixen, The Marriage of Figaro, The Magic Flute, Hansel and Gretel, Cosi Fan Tutte, The Barber of Seville, Daphnis & Chloe and Gorgeous Galatea, and La Sonnambula, as well as a little bit of sparkling G&S: The Gondoliers.
Through song, we will tell your story and create our own. We will harness our very breath to make art. We will lift the songs of love, loss and lust off the page. We are young artists. We are not museum pieces. We are not slaves to the past. We will create the traditions of the future…
Pacific Opera supports young singers through a program of education comprising artistic training, performance opportunities, and professional skills development. Through this work, Pacific Opera cultivates the next generation of Australian talent.
The company was established in 2003 as a company limited by guarantee, with former Opera Australia principal, Christine Douglas, as Artistic Director and a board of prominent business and professional people. It has long had Deductible Gift Recipient status (DGR) so that donations to the company are tax deductible. During our 13 years of operation, we have established an important position in the Australian opera landscape. Now an established company, with a growing reputation, we offer singers the chance to develop their vocal and performance skills to advance into the international opera arena.
- Create a platform for young Australian artists to transition from higher education to full time careers in the opera industry
- Deliver excellence in training through performance, masterclasses, workshops and professional development classes for early career artists
- Develop additional performance opportunties via corporate and private events
- Secure Pacific Opera in its reputation as an industry leader in young opera artist development
- Challenge the community’s perception of opera as “elite” and expand into “non-traditional” audiences
- Artistic excellence in all that we do
- High professionalism matched with innovative production values
- Commitment to lead the development of young opera singers in an ethical, supportive and sensitive manner